Thursday, January 19, 2012

Patience



The last four months for me have been nothing short of a roller coaster. Trying to manage 4 injuries while still running two ultras has taken a serious toll on my body. Since MMTR I haven't gone a single day with pain in my hips. I can't sit for more than 30 minutes, I can't stand for more than an hour (which is tough because I work on my feet), and any running or biking has only made these pains worse. 4 months of icing twice a day, rehab exercises, and time on the couch has taken it's toll on my patience. I am in bad place mentally but I can see light at the end of the tunnel. 

2 years ago my wife and I made the decision for her to start a full-time PHD program overseas. She wanted to continue teaching full-time as well which meant that my work,school, and hobby life needed to be adjusted. So while she became a full-time PHD student and a full-time professor, I became a part-time Starbucks employee, a part-time soccer coach, a part-time Philosophy MA Student, a part-time household manager, and a part-time Ultra-runner. This system has worked out very well for us until that last 2 months. 

Soccer season ended, the school semester ended, and my running basically stopped altogether in the first week of november. This left a significant hole in my weekly schedule that I have yet to fill. I'd love to say that I've dealt with this transition well but honestly I haven't. I've become much more irritable and short with people. I don't like this. Patience is a virtue I am still cultivating. So for those of you've I've been short with I apologize. 

Today, I hope, marks a turning point in my recovery. I'm going to see a physical therapist this afternoon. Praying for some help there. I'm also going to see a doctor tomorrow. I hate the idea of dropping a few hundred bucks on X-Rays or an MRI but at this point I see no other option. I've tried everything I can on my own and I have decided that's not enough. I do recognize however that it may still be a long time before I'm back on the trails. This is sobering information but I can't ignore it. Patience Patience Patience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment